What Size Humidity Pack Should I Use?
It really is amazing how much things have changed when it comes to obtaining cannabis. Whereas buying pot used to be an underground adventure, cannabis is now legal for medicinal purposes in 38 states, and for recreational use in 19. That means that cannabis is now legal, in some way or another, in more than three-quarters of the United States. And don’t get us started on the increase in quality since legalization. So now that you can easily acquire weed, and good weed at that, what are you gonna do with it? Keep reading for proper cannabis storage, ideal humidity for curing weed, the best cannabis humidity packs for weed and more.
Proper Cannabis Storage
Unless you buy a pre-roll you’ll burn through in one sitting, you’re going to need to store your pot somewhere. And how you store it can make all the difference between fresh beautiful weed that provides an ultra-premium high, and wasting your money on something that degrades quickly, turns harsh and loses potency.
Light, air, heat — they all play a part in potential weed degradation. But at the end of the day, the biggest deciding factor in proper weed storage all comes down to humidity. Just like Goldilocks, you want your pot to be just right. Not too dry, not too moist — just right.
- Too dry. Yes, the purpose of pot is to get you high. But beyond just a great high, premium pot should have great taste and aroma. Those aspects are determined by terpenes, and terpenes are housed by trichomes. When weed gets too dry, those delicate little trichomes can break off and break down — meaning no fragrant smell and disappearance of taste. Too dry weed can also affect the cannabinoids, which in turn can affect the potency. So without proper moisture, cannabis will become dry, tasteless and ineffective.
- Too wet. On the other hand, too much moisture is not a good thing either. At best you will end up with spongy buds that don’t burn well, and at worst you could wind up with mold. Moldy weed isn’t just gross, it can be toxic. A healthy person who ingests moldy weed can experience coughing, wheezing, nausea, sinus pain, muscle weakness, chest pain and brain fog. And for someone who has a mold allergy or is immunocompromised, the health consequences can be even more serious.
- Just right. Proper weed storage at a perfect humidity level maintains all of the original goodness of the weed — taste, aroma and potency — and can keep it optimal for a longer period of time. If you’re going to pay top dollar for the best weed available, proper storage is essential.
The easiest way to achieve the perfect pot storage humidity level is with the use of cannabis humidity packs. Humidity packs are basically little pouches that house a combination of salts and water. Some humidity packs can absorb humidity, and some can release humidity, but the best humidity packs for weed are are two-way humidity packs that can do both depending on the humidity levels within both the container and the flower.
Humidity Pack Sizing
The best humidity packs for weed are also available in a range of sizes. What size humidity pack for weed is best? The right size humidity pack for weed depends on how much marijuana you’re storing and what size container you’re keeping using. A very basic rule of thumb is:
- 1 gram humidity pack for up to an 1/8 oz or 3.5 grams
- 4 gram humidity pack for up to 1/4 oz or 14 grams
- 8 gram humidity pack for up to 1 oz or 28 grams
- 67 gram humidity pack for up to 1 lb or 450 grams
- 320 gram humidity pack for up to 5 lbs or 2.25 kilograms
When it comes to the absolute best in maintaining ideal humidity for curing weed, no one even comes close to Boveda. Boveda is the global leader in two-way humidity control. Boveda packs are ISO certified, manufactured to GMP standards and meet FDA guidelines. Made with natural ingredients and using a reverse osmosis membrane, Boveda’s patented two-way humidity control packs continually respond to ambient conditions by removing moisture or emitting purified water-vapor to deliver a predetermined relative humidity level of 58% or 62%.
There is no longer any need to do math in your head when it comes to the ideal humidity for curing weed or storing weed — which percentage you choose when it comes to your cannabis humidity packs depends on what area you live in as well as personal preference.
If you reside in a drier climate or one with a higher altitude, and prefer a slightly stickier flower, then a 62% RH pack is the way to go. Whereas a 58% RH will provide you with a slightly drier flower especially great for joints or blunts. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Boveda humidity packs are maintenance-free and require no activation. Simply remove from the plastic wrapper and place it in the CVault’s patented pack holder. No need to stress or worry about what size humidity pack for weed you should use — you can always use bigger or more than recommended, as that just means your Boveda will last longer. You’ll know when it’s time to replace your pack simply by touching it. New Boveda packs start off soft — when you start to feel any hard spots, that means it’s time to replace with a new one.
There should be no question in your mind when it comes to how to store your flower. The CVault from FreshStor is the world’s smartest cannabis storage container — no thinking required. Manufactured from 304 food-grade stainless steel for the perfect environment and with thick silicone rings to ensure a reliably tight seal, CVaults are easy to clean, easy to maintain and will last for years on end.
You will never find any curing or storage container superior to a CVault, that’s a fact. But when you combine a CVault with Boveda cannabis humidity packs, that’s when the real magic happens. That’s why with every CVault purchase, a perfect sized Boveda humidity pack is included. Of course, you can always purchase extra Boveda packs as needed — but the first one is on us, so you can see how simple and easy it is to create the perfect environment for your weed.
Bottom line: There is no longer any need to worry or stress about the ideal humidity for curing weed, or storing buds, or over what size humidity pack for weed you need. Treat yourself by purchasing your very own personal CVault, combo pack, or home grow kit and never have to think about storage or humidity again. It’s the best investment you can make — for both your pot and your sanity. Take pride in a truly fresh flower: No mason jars, no baggies, no worries — just CVault.