Cannabis Terpene Preservation + FreshStor’s Secret Weapon
You may be hearing a ton about how to grow legal cannabis lately. The need for nutrient-rich soil, the importance of amendments and fertilization, and other growing hacks top the list of popular Google searches for novice growers. But what about after harvest? Without proper humidity control, precious cannabis compounds can degrade, losing potency and flavor as soon as you harvest. How can we protect vital cannabis compounds like cannabinoids, flavonoids and terpenoids? With humidity-controlled storage and terpene preservation, of course!
FreshStor aims to help today’s cannabis producers and consumers preserve your terpenes! By matching our revolutionary pharma-grade stainless steel CVault with Boveda’s 2-Way humidity packs, we’re providing consumers with safe, eco-friendlier storage options for their cannabis. Legal cannabis advocates have long spoken out against cannabis packaging as a waste and environmental justice issue. Keeping one’s stash fresh plus an opportunity to invest in a positive environmental change — sign me up, right?
Terpenes, Terpenoids, Terps
No longer just a buzzword, terpenes are fragrant oils secreted alongside cannabinoids from the plant’s resin glands and are said to “revolutionize the cannabis industry as we know it,” according to a recent Green Entrepreneur article. Terpenes, terpenoids, terps — whatever name you’ve adopted for them — are what give cannabis its distinct aroma and taste. With hundreds of known cannabis terpenoids identified in scientific journals so far, many say we are only beginning to scratch the surface of medicinal benefits of terpenes, which is why terpene preservation is so important. From aromatics to medicinal advantages, below are some common terpenes found in cannabis.
Top 6 Terpenes Found in Cannabis
- Myrcene is one of the most commonly known terpenes in regulated cannabis and is said to be what makes certain Indica strains so relaxing. Providing earthly, spicy and clove notes, Myrcene provides antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic benefits.
- Pinene is just like it sounds — piney! Found in pine trees, herbs and citrus fruits, this terpene is said to help cognitive function and act as a bronchodilator (assumably when consumed orally or as a suppository, compared to smoking your cannabis).
- Limonene is commonly used in everyday items like fragrances and cleaning products and found in citrus rinds. It’s also a popular terpene found in cannabis and is believed to provide relief to those who experience anxiety.
- Caryophyllene is known as the spicy terpene. Present in herbs and spices, caryophyllene is said to act as an anti-inflammatory, and it’s popular for binding to CB2 receptors and its host of benefits, those known and yet to be discovered.
- Humulene is unique to basil, hops, clove and cannabis Sativa, and it’s what gives your cannabis earthy, woodsy notes. Biomedical research confirms that humulene is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and even an appetite suppressant!
- Linalool is what makes lavender so pleasant to smell, but surprise this terpene is also commonly found in popular cannabis strains and said to be an antidepressant, anti-inflammatory and have anti-seizure properties.
Preserve Your Terpenes
The CVault by FreshStor, an industry favorite for cannabis storing, curing, protecting and terpene preservation, is constructed from 304 stainless steel with a built-in pack holder designed specifically for a Boveda, making it perfect for long- or short-term storage. Yet what makes this product “The World’s Smartest Storage Container?” Well, that’s a salty topic!
“90% of cannabis flower is stored below the target range of 58-62% RH,” according to a product analysis summarized in a 2018 Boveda whitepaper. “Boveda is the only 2-way humidity control technology that uses natural saltwater formulations in a vapor-phase osmosis membrane. This membrane adds or reduces pure water vapor as needed to maintain a constant, predetermined RH level in the storage container. This saltwater solution creates a monolayer of purified water molecules that naturally coats the trichomes and shields precious terpenes from evaporating into your container.”
In combination with FreshStor’s pharma-grade stainless steel storage containers, Boveda’s humidity control packs provide an ideal environment for your precious cannabis. According to a Certificate of Analysis of used Boveda packs, terpenes were not absorbed by the humidity packs during storage.
Specific terpene ratios and combinations in relative volumes of each strain vary as does the impact on fragrance profile and medicinal efficacy experienced by consumers. The therapeutic potential of terpenes seems promising. Once what some would call an afterthought in the cannabis space, terpenes are now recognized for their small but mighty effects. That’s why terpene preservation is so paramount — it’s precious cargo! Preserve your terpenes with the CVault + Boveda combo! Shop now!